Thursday 12 April 2012

Review: A Million Suns by Beth Revis

A Million Suns (Across the Universe #2) by Beth Revis
Published by RazorBill 2012


Trapped on board the spaceship Godspeed, Amy trusts no-one.

The ship's ruler is dead and a rebellion threatens. Amy wants to help Elder as he tries to take charge, but she's torn between her feelings for him and the chaos that's pulling everything apart. As more harrowing discoveries are made about Godspeed, Amy is caught in a desperate race to unravel its secrets. Only one thing is certain.

They have to get off this ship.

The heart-stopping sequel to Across the Universe: a story of love, murder and madness - set in space.


*This review may contain spoilers from Across the Universe*

I read Across the Universe quite a while ago, and luckily I still remember what happened in it. It was a brilliant debut from Beth Revis and I jumped at the chance to buy A Million Suns from The Book Depository. I had very high expectations of this book because Across the Universe was so great, and I'm sure when I say that this book is even better than the first!


Three months have passed since Orion's killings and eventual capture. He's frozen in a cryo chamber now, but things are far from normal. Eldest is dead, and the ship's citizens are no longer under the influence of Phydus, the drug that made them blindly obey orders. Elder takes charge, but now that the people can make their own choices, a rebellion is on the horizon and everything is falling apart. 


This was simply brilliant. There was never really a dull moment. Elder has taken charge now that Eldest is dead, and everything is thrown out of whack. Trouble is, now that everyone is making their own individual choices, Elder's struggling to keep control and I liked seeing how the rebellion continually escalated throughout. Another main plot point in this book was that Amy discovers that Orion left clues for her to find, and he says that she is the only one who can make the choice. This causes Amy to find and follow the clues he left behind, find out his big secret and see what choice she has to make. This was really, really great because it flowed nicely, one clue leading to another. More and more big revelations were made, and I was shocked at times. I didn't expect any of it. 


If anything, the ship is more dangerous than when Orion was walking about. There's a new villain this time around, killing innocent people and further fuelling the fire that is the rebellion. The struggle Elder faces while trying to control the ship and Amy's quest for Orion's clues eventually collide, and boy is it explosive. I didn't expect the person who was the villain to be the villain at all, and it caught me off-guard. One of the final revelations in the book and the ending have me already seriously impatient and I completely want to read what happens next! I can't believe I have to wait another year to read the third and final book.


4.5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment