Saturday 10 December 2011

Review: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
Published by Vintage 2010




A zombie who yearns for a better life ends up falling in love—with a human—in this astonishingly original debut novel. 

R is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams. He doesn’t enjoy killing people; he enjoys riding escalators and listening to Frank Sinatra. He is a little different from his fellow Dead. 

Not just another zombie novel, Warm Bodies is funny, scary, and deeply moving.



As the Goodreads description says, this is not just another zombie novel. It's entirely original and it's the first zombie book I've ever read. Isaac Marion created two unique characters so unlike the zombie cliche. R is not the typical zombie; sure, there's the usual zombie motions like moaning and walking all weird and eating brains but it's so much more than that. R was such an endearing character and I really rooted for him in the beginning. Even though he's a zombie, he was the most humane of all. And Julie is not the typical girl one falls in love with in a romance. She's strong and fiery and isn't mushy at all. It's a great journey that they experience and I found the story really hopeful in contrast with the bleak post-apocalypse world the book is set in. I also liked how Perry fit into the story but I felt his interruptions mid-story a little bit annoying; although I guess it was necessary in order to tie the story together. I loved how the zombies lived in their new "life" and I found it really sweet and again, hopeful because most of them did still possess hints of humanity, and that's shown in how they all live together. I also really loved how this book managed to be quite humourous and I found myself laughing more often than once. The use of Frank Sinatra throughout the book was also really sweet and at times really funny as song lyrics were sometimes quoted by R at inappropriate times. It also helped bring about just the right amount of cheesiness. Overall, I really enjoyed and loved this book and I look forward to seeing more of Isaac Marion's books in the future. 

5 stars     

No comments:

Post a Comment