Thursday 22 December 2011

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Published by Hodder & Stoughton 2011


Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


There was a lot of hype surrounding this book when I first heard about it, and after reading the blurb on Goodreads, I was instantly intrigued. It's an interesting premise, love as a disease, and I wasn't sure how it would pan out. 

After having read it for myself, I now understand why there was so much hype. The writing is incredible and beautiful and the author handled the story really well. Lena was an interesting character and I enjoyed watching her come into her own and realise things for herself. The supporting characters each play a significant role and have their own place in helping tie the story together. Alex was also a swoon-worthy love interest and I fell in love with him myself while seeing how Alex and Lena's relationship developed. Lena's cousin Grace was from the start a very interesting character, and I have to say that she is one of my favourites despite her lack of speech. The cure for love that scientists developed creates a sense of detachment from others, and Lauren Oliver showed how the cure affected people very nicely and with detail, which made the book seem more real to me. Although, the book's premise doesn't really sound very real to me, the story made it seem real. However, the book did take some getting into; things didn't really start happening for a fair while. Nonetheless, the book was very enjoyable and once I did get into it I was turning the pages in earnest. The ending also did make my eyes well up a bit (I don't really cry unless someone actually dies in a book) and the cliff-hanger Lauren Oliver has left behind for the next book is unbearable. There's so many questions hanging in the balance and I can't wait for them to be answered in the next book, which is out next year. 

4.5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment